Trophology is a topic that is, for the most part, foreign to the western world. The founder of modern western medicine, Heroditus, knew of the importance of food combinations; these ideas seem to have been “lost” by mainstream western medicine.
One of the most important factors in determining one’s overall mental and physical health is diet. Diet is, however, more complicated than simply eating a certain amount of certain foods. It is absolutely essential that these foods be combined in a way which can easily be digestible by the stomach.
Food Combinations to Avoid
The following are the main violations of proper food combinations that I have seen in the western diet. If food preparers/planners would observe these rules, then the rates of chronic illness would certainly plummet.
- Protein and Starch – This is the worst possible combination of foods to mix in a single meal, however, it is the most common combination found in modern-day meals. When these two substances are combined together, the alkaline enzyme ptyalin pours into the food as its chewed. When the food reaches the stomach, the digestion of the starch continues; the digestion of the protein, however, is prevented. With starch present in the stomach, it is unable to secrete pepsin and other acids, the acids which breaks down protein. The protein is thus left to putrify, thus preventing your body from absorbing the useful substances and enabling the bacteria to have all of the nutrients in the protien.
- Multiple Kinds of Proteins – Different proteins have different demands on the stomach. Proteins that are somewhat different, such as fish and lamb, should not be consumed together. Proteins such as beef and lamb, however, can be eaten together in the same meal.
- Starch and Acid – When you mix an acid food, such as orange juice, with a starchy food, such as buiscits, the secretion of ptyalin is inhibited; it is thus impossible to properly digest the starch. This leaves the starch to ferment in your stomach; fermentation leads to a toxic sludge that does nothing to aid the body.
- Protein and Acid – When acid foods enter the stomach, the secretion of hydrochloric acid is inhibited. The protein digesting enzyme, pepsin, can only work in the presence of hydrochloric acid. If one combines, for example, orange juice and eggs, the eggs will not digest properly; they will, instead, putrify and become food for the bacteria. This leads to more toxic sludge in the digestive tract.
- Protein and Sugar – Sugars, needing no processing in the stomach, immediately inhibit the secretion of gastric juices. It is essential that sugars be eaten alone or not at all. Otherwise proper digestion cannot take place.
- Milk, Cheese and ANYTHING else – It is not advisable to eat anything with dairy products. When dairy products enter the stomach, they immediately curdle and envelop any other food particles in the stomach. This stops proper digestion and leads to putrification or fermentation depending on the foods present in the stomach.
In part II we will explore the dietary devolution of humanity…