I am writing to voice my opposition for HR 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009.
This bill unnecessarily encumbers small to medium sized farms with excessive regulatory demands, which may even put many community farms out of business.
The Federal Government is already too involved in agriculture. We need to allow the free market to work, in order to serve us best.
Putting smaller community farms out of business with unnecessary legislation will not make our food supply any safer. In fact it will make it more dangerous, because consumers will be even further separated from the source of their food.
If a farm is producing unsafe food, then let the legal system take care of them. The farmers can be liable for the penalties that are already in place under existing laws; no new bureaucracy is necessary.
I hope you will consider this when voting on this bill.
- Raw Milk Debate is Finally Reaching the Mainstream.
- Is it My Duty as an American to Help Freeloaders Obtain Health Care?
- FDA doesn’t even check to see if food labels are accurate…
- Open Letter To Senators Regarding S.604: Federal Reserve Sunshine Act of 2009
- #24 Dealing With Issues Like Monsanto and GMOs; Actions That Might ACTUALLY Work