otranto passenger listwhat is the tone of antony's speech

1957 Aug. Atlantic Flight 702 has disappeared mid-flight between London and New York with 256 passengers on board. One had to hold to something to keep from being swept overboard. Forces. The lifeboats were useless, as they had been crushed to pieces. - In Lists B & C, the marks of the individuals are indicated within the parenthesis.. Contributor Richard C. Gethmann Source: Pennsylvania German Pioneers, A Publication of the Original Lists of Arrivals In the Port of Philadelphia From 1727 to . We'd like to use additional cookies to remember your settings and understand how you use our services. Men were in the raging sea and clinging to anything that would float. 1888-1940 are the official passenger lists for people arriving in Port Adelaide from overseas. length 482ft x beam 58.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 10 knots, accommodation for 12-1st class passengers. Orient Steam Navigation Co./Pacific Steam Navigation Co. Outward sailings January-April 1882 (issued January 18, 1882) Vessel (s) Ports of call. The loss of life was heavy - 431 drowned, including 351 American soldiers - though there were 367 survivors in all. The National Archives has passenger arrival records, sometimes called "ship passenger lists," for arrivals to the United States from foreign ports between approximately 1820 and December 1982 (with gaps). She was sold for scrap in June. Geoffrey already had three brothers living in Australia. Passenger lists on ships continued until 1965, when cards completely replaced lists for both air and sea travel. We left Camp Merritt, N.J., on the 24th of September and went to New York; there we boarded the transport that was to take us over there. As we left our dear old country and bid adieu to the Statue of Liberty in a mist of rain, so our view of land was hidden. However, often you will need to view both card and list, as sea departure cards usually do not contain details of destination, although they do have the date and departure port, meaning that you should be able to tell if a card relates to the same voyage as a passenger list found in your search. Partner websites are free to search but there may be a charge to view full transcriptions and download documents. Two sons of Mrs. J. S. Harmon, of Inman, both in the service of their country, were on the British transport Otranto that was sunk off the coast of Ireland when she was rammed by the Kashmir, one of whom, Arthur, was saved, the other, Clyde being lost. His father, Samuel Dull of Arcanum, Ohio, was notified as next of kin of his death. The records are arranged by port or airport of arrival. This is an incomplete list of American and British men who were killed during the sinking: Pvt. Please note that not all ports are sea ports. For instance, in the South African dropdown list there are the important ports of Durban (Port Natal) and Port Elizabeth (Algoa Bay). Wherever we can, we have paired each port with its matching country. His shoulder always caused him great pain and finally, he retired from his business in 1946, turning it over to my older brother Robert Morris Perrin, when he returned from WW II. Six double-ended and two single-ended boilers supplied steam at 215 lbf/in2 to the turbines. Dilts was given to me by his daughter Barbara Dilts Joike who on December 17, 2004, turned 90 years old. Steamship Line: Norddeutscher Lloyd (North German Lloyd) Class of Passengers: Cabin. The manoeuvring of the Mounsey was magnificent and the destroyer was in danger of being dashed to pieces her self and she was taking on water. If your search returns a large number of results you may wish to sort them by clicking on the column heading, to help you scan the list of records. When I jumped I fell between the two anchor chains, which were stretched along the deck floor, and held on. Passenger lists - The National Archives Pvt. At this time the mortally wounded Otranto was grounded on some rocks and was tearing herself apart and soon tore into two parts. It is not necessary to select a destination country before searching. In 1919 P&O Line acquired a controlling interest in Orient Line. U.S.N.S. ORIENT LINE PASSENGER LIST RMS ORONTES Australia service 1953 EMIGRANTS - $97.58. I know he was stationed at Savannah Georgia and a friend who had seen a picture of him in his uniform said that it was Coast Artillery. The names of wives and children were often not included. Find out where they were going and where they were coming from, where they called home as well as their age, occupation and whether they were married or single. What kind of passenger records do we hold? London, Naples, via Suez Canal, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney. 1954 Nov 10. Belfast, Ireland. However, in 1933, she was given a comprehensive refit to become a One Class Liner, accommodating just 770 Tourist Class passengers and she was listed as being 14,983 GRT. Pvt. In addition to troops, passengers could also include nurses and other support personnel, family members, and any other passengers who may have been traveling onboard these ships. Pvt. He had served 16 years in the navy prior to the war and was called up again in August 1914. Cyndi's List - Ships & Passenger Lists - Ship Lists: General The Battle of Coronel took place on 1 November 1914 with the loss of the British ships HMS Good Hope and HMS Monmouth with very heavy loss of life. You need to bear in mind also that a significant proportion of passengers are shown on the original list without an age - these 'blank' ages are shown in your returned results together with those of the right year of birth, so that you can consider them as well. Smith was born in Knoxville, Tennessee about 1894 and at the time of enlistment he lived at 615 E. 5th St., Cincinnati, Ohio. I lived with my maternal grandparents most of my growing up years." The passenger train was carrying 342 travellers and 10 crew, with two crew on the cargo train, Hellenic Train data showed. Passenger lists vary in size and in length, they changed over time, and different shipping lines had their own pre-printed forms. Passenger Lists From Ireland - 1803 - #1 Passenger List From Ireland - 1803 - #2 Bowditch, Liverpool to NY, May 1839 If a port is not in the drop-down list, this means that (to the best of our knowledge) there are no sailings from it. He sailed on the Otranto with Casual Company No. First Settlers of New Hampshire. SBS TV | SBS Radio | SBS On Demand, news, sport, food, movies Ascension is included under St Helena. Passenger List on Apple Podcasts example: 1851 passenger list (scroll down) l847 Canadian list. Orient Line - R.M.S. Ormonde 1917 to 1952 - Page Two Swadner was born in Greenville, Ohio about 1898 and at the time of enlistment he lived in Arcanum, Ohio. Edward was the only one accepted that night. Somehow the waves carried my left leg underneath one of the chains and the weight of the anchor chain held me in a straining position until another wave loosened me. For example, you may know that your passenger sailed to Chile without knowing whether he or she disembarked at, say, Antofagasta, Iquique or Valparaiso. I saw a number of men jump for the destroyer but miss and fall between where they were smashed to death or drowned. privacy policy, Need more context? That is, passengers may go to sleep Wednesday night and find that it is still Wednesday when they arise the next morning. He was selected as part of the September Automatic Replacement Draft from Fort Screven Georgia. Of course, our first thought was a torpedo, but were told that it was nothing serious. I was quite seasick for four days and nights, but I overcame that and felt good, although I would have been very glad to have seen land. Again, lots of love to all. Date. In the stories that Pearl Horn told to his son Paul, he told about the adventure of, Having to jump on to the deck of the British destroyer, and that many refused to do so and according to the various accounts that are now available on the web, over 400 died. The wildcard is denoted by a * and can be used in both the first name and the last name search fields. He enlisted into the Army at Fort Thomas, Kentucky on 17 July 1918 at the age of 18 years 1 month old. The passenger lists in BT27 include long-haul voyages to destinations outside Britain and Europe. He was selected as part of the September Automatic Replacement Draft, Company 1, from Fort Screven Georgia. For instance, a person living in Scotland is more likely to have sailed from Glasgow or one of the other Scottish ports. Dull was born in Wood County, Ohio about 1899 and at the time of enlistment he lived in Arcanum, Ohio. The Willem Ruys and Oranje passed in opposite directions . GGA Image ID # 12e0a9f329. Other services may also be available. If you wish to search by country, simply select the country but leave the destination port dropdown at its default 'all ports within destination country' setting. -The following American survivors of the Otranto, all of them privates, have been landed here: Charles E. Smithson, David R. Roberts, George S. Taylor, Earle Garver, Stewart Early [Early Steward], Noah Taylor, William Cooney, Robert F. Schaun, Thomas A. Kelly, Ben Smith, Robert Brown, Joseph S. Richards, William Richards, Emil Peterson, Joseph M. Journey to Australia: Tall Trees Family History DEPARTURES: 1822-1869 London, England Liverpool, England His father, Henry J. Swadner, Arcanum, Ohio, was notified as next of kin of his death. The Orient Line, along with the Peninsula and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, were the two British based shipping lines that pioneered and dominated the passage of migrants by sea to Australia and other colonial outposts in the Orient, such as India, Malaysia and Hong Kong since the 1850s. Pvt. Kaitlin Le (Kelly Marie Tran), a college student whose twin brother vanished with the flight, is determined to uncover the truth. Passenger List Page - Irish Genealogical Society - MN. 1939: Troopship. I cannot write any more. Pvt. L. Baldry. It is awful to think of Clyde as going down in that terrible water. The conditions of the sea at that time were swells of 15 to 20 feet or more and men were being thrown across the deck of the ship. Norwegian emigration records - Norway Heritage There is then the body of the list, giving details of the passengers travelling on board. Thomas Goodwin was born and raised in Blackburn, Lancashire, England. Passenger lists are not always clear or precise as to their exact routes and any ports of call on their way to their final destination. crew, passengers, military. Mother, it is with a sad heart that I write of Clyde, but we have hopes yet. Herbert A. Dodd listed above. London: SS Otranto (Orient Line) travelling from Brisbane to London. Traduzioni in contesto per "advised to return him" in inglese-italiano da Reverso Context: Given his history, I was advised to return him to the authorities. Like rival Dutch shipping company Nederland Line's passenger ship Oranje, the Royal Rotterdam Lloyd's William Ruys served the Netherlands-Indonesia route after the war, having been built in 1947 for that purpose. He was not married, and had no children. He was selected as part of the September Automatic Replacement Draft, Company 2, from Fort Screven Georgia. Pvt. If you do open up a destination port drop-down list, you will see an A-Z alphabetical list of available ports. Rhein 1868, 2901 tons, 332ft x 40ft. Redirecting to https://www.shf.org.au/archives-research/ephemera/ephemera-otranto. The accident happened not far from the same place where the Lusitania was sunk near Ireland. Was assigned to Machine Gun Company K, 1st Kansas Infantry (Co. K 137th Infantry). Passenger Lists: The Meaning Behind the Notations, Abbreviations, and You can of course reduce this option to 'exact' or '+/- 1 year' but you may be less likely to achieve a successful result if you do. The waves were so high and the destroyer so heavily loaded until she turned almost over. You'll find steamship captains from Cunard, White Star, Inman, Guion, Anchor, American, Red Star, CGT French Line, and many others. She took on a list very quickly and flooding into the engine room shorted out the generators and the lights went out. The Persian Gulf is included under Iran but a voyage marked as heading for that destination might of course have called at ports on the opposite side of the Gulf: you need to search under Iran to cover this possibility. S.S. Graf Waldersee arrived at the port of Philadelphia from Hamburg on 1 September 1913 - page 17 has been transcribed: page 17. They would carry passengers to America, and take cargo back for Europe. This story of Pvt. He enlisted into the Regular Army at Fort Thomas, Kentucky on 23 July 1918 at the age of 18 years old. This information on Cpl. (note: Jennings is shown as age 1 in this census, again a good indication that 1898 is correct) A family history article by Peggy Haywood Gregory is found on page 225 of The Heritage of Union County, North Carolina, 1842-1992, Vol. Weeks was from Waynesboro, Georgia and was assigned to the September Automatic Replacement Draft at Ft. Screven. Others were on deck, but their hold wasnt very good and they were swept overboard. Likewise German ships which would naturally include an umlaut in their name may be spelt with a 'u' or with a 'ue'. 1891-1954 immigration passenger lists: Corporal Herbert A. Dodd drowned 6 October, 1918 during the sinking of the Otranto. It is important to note that wherever a voyage has one or more ports of call prior to its final destination, there may be a difference between where the ship is going and where a passenger on board is going: for instance, the ship may be sailing to Sydney, Australia but passengers may disembark at, for example, Bombay in India if that is one of the ports of call en route. OANFA 1903 7,902 gross tons. My dad had written to my mother from Georgia asking her to bring me to the train station so he could see me before he went overseas, it seems the government was sending the troops through their hometowns so they could see their families before shipping out. Traduzione di "advised to return him" in italiano - Reverso Context I waited until she came alongside for the last time. His father, Frank Kish of 2885 E. 82nd St., Cleveland, Ohio, was notified as next of kin of his death. Try an Ancestry.com Free Trial and Ancestry.ca Free Trial Genealogy Mystery Book! Guide to Passenger Records - Barb Snow He is buried in Grave 190 in Kilchomen, Islay Island, Scotland. Smith sailed on the HMS Otranto on 25 September 1918 with the C.A.C. To see the passenger list, use the Book and Page above, to find the correct microfiche in Assisted Immigrants from UK, 1839-1871, Compartment 21, Call no. When we got on deck we found a very strong wind and high waves. The Passengers of the May Flower in 1620 [pg 47] Passengers of the Mary and John, p. 265. Cuzco. You can search these arrival records in our collection. He is buried in the Kilchoman Cemetery, Islay, West Coast of Scotland, Grave site 7.131. We had quite a bit of rain, and a heavy sleet fell upon us too. S.A.R., [September Automatic Replacement] C.A.C., Passenger lists and Emigrant ships from Norway-Heritage Able Body Seaman Turner was one of the last to jump from the Otranto and saw the ship and Captain Ernest W. Davidson go down as he waved to his men as he stayed by his charge to the very end. A man from my hometown saw me when I was eleven while I was unveiling the monument to the service men and he told me that he was on the same ship and saw my dad try to jump from the Otranto to the Mounsey which had pulled alongside and he fell in between. Union 1867, 2800 tons, 325ft x 40 ft. Weser 1867, 2870 tons, 325ft x 40ft. These are contained within The National Archives' BT26 record series. Victor D. continues about his father in later life, He was a successful businessman in Atlanta, Georgia, his hometown. Arthur Harmon was badly injured when he leaped from the deck of the sinking ship to that of a destroyer and recovered in the Royal Victoria hospital, Belfast, Ireland. To our great joy a British destroyer greeted our eyes, for here lay our only hopes. All British ports found so far within the BT27 passenger lists are given in an alphabetical A-Z drop-down list. The list contains: Non-Convict name, title, ship, contact name and e-mail address. In theory if not in practice, there are no domestic British or purely European voyages in BT27, and no lists for Merchant or Royal Naval vessels or for troop ships. Register of Immigrants: Otranto, 1911-1912 Access status Open Previous System Identifier DID39118 Description Register of passengers on immigrant ships arriving in Queensland Format PDF . If you also see a more generic option in the drop-down alongside specific ports, it is important to note that this is not an 'all ports' option. Newsome was assigned to the Coast Artillery Corps at Fort Screven, Georgia. However, in some cases there are cards without corresponding lists, as well as lists without cards. He was survived by his wife Elizabeth (Pauling) of 248 St. Leonards Road, Poplar E. Date this page was last updated March 2, 2019 The indexing is complete only for the assisted immigrant programme through to 1888. I was in bed and heard gunshots, I ran downstairs and sat on the piano bench scared and I thought the Germans had invaded us. Battle was drowned during the sinking on October 6, 1918. RMS Otranto was an ocean liner that was built for the Orient Steam Navigation Company in 1925. I was brought up to the hospital with a number of others that had been hurt. Captain Ernest W. Davidson true to the ancient traditions of the sea, stayed with his ship and went down with her in the terrible sea as he saluted his men for one last time. U.S., Army Transport Service Arriving and Departing Passenger Lists He worked hard at home to regain strength and range of motion and was far more successful that had been predicted by his surgeon. Victor Morris Perrin passed away in 1967 in Naples, Florida. The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole | Goodreads Vessel. Debbie Baker tells of Clifford Ardell Carpenter her 2nd great-grand-uncle sailing aboard the HMS Otranto. This will allow you to view all of the voyages that a ship undertook from the UK, between 1890 and 1960. It was used by Geoffrey and Hazel Tirchett who immigrated from London to Victoria, as '10 Pound Tourists' leaving London on 3 June 1954. Passenger arrival records | naa.gov.au - National Archives of Australia He sailed aboard the HMS Otranto on the 25th September 1918 and he was killed during the 6 October sinking of the Otranto. ArchivesSearch | Queensland State Archives | Queensland Government The inclusion of Dutch, German, Swedish, Portuguese and other foreign ships means that some ships will have names that may initially look like mis- transcriptions. In the Second World War the second Otranto was converted into a troop ship and a Landing ship, infantry. You can search and download lists of ships' passengers entering and leaving the United Kingdom from and for ports outside Europe and the Mediterranean. This ripped a large hole in her side at the point where the ships hospital was. Biographies of many transatlantic sea captains and commanders from the 1880s through the early 1900s. View all Works. Later in life Pearl B. Horn did not talk much about the war in an detail, but one day many years ago, he told his son, Paul Horn, a few things about that time and his limited experience in the last battle of WWI, Meuse-Argonne Offensive. Passenger records and immigration | PROV Once on deck the men were faced with very strong winds. Just a few days before his enlistment he bought himself a new automobile for her pleasure. Men were lashed to guns on the deck of the Mounsey and was getting crowded and she was leaking, the pumps were going all the time but they were still waist deep in ice cold seawater and did not expect to see land again. Death Finds a Way: A Janie Riley Mystery by Lorine McGinnis Schulze Janie Riley is an avid genealogist with a habit of stumbling on to dead bodies. If you have research comments or additional information on this page E-mail them to: Joe Hartwell, [Return back to the Ships histories page] [ Return back to the Site Map ] [ Return to the Coast Artillery Corps page ], Pvt. Generally, in our experience, cards give more biographical information than their matching lists. The "RMS" prefix stands for Royal Mail Ship, as she carried overseas mail under a contract between Orient Line and Royal Mail. I can remember standing in front of my mother at the funeral parlor and seeing his coffin with the flag over it. He was drowned during the sinking. When the destroyer reached port he was virtually frozen stiff to the railings and they had difficulty prying him loose.. When World War II broke out in 1939 the Admiralty requisitioned Otranto and had her converted into a troop ship. Otranto then resumed her pre-war role as a passenger liner, now refitted to carry 1,412 tourist-class passengers.

Lakeside Shooting Today, Midheaven In Virgo Career, Fincas En Homestead Para Comer, Colonia Country Club Membership Fee, Articles O

otranto passenger list